Thursday 21 February 2013

Cottage Cheese and Spinach Balls




Cottage Cheese and Spinach Balls

Last Sunday, there was a dinner at my house for the close friends. I had planned a black and white menu theme for the dinner. My flour miller promised me that he will deliver me the buckwheat flour by 5pm. But it turned out, that the shop was closed a little early. The guest were expected at 7pm. I had to prepare the main course and there was no time to create an elaborate starter.
I came up with the idea of a quick starter from the ingredients out of my main course. It blew away my guest and so did me.

I made a quick starter from cottage cheese and spinach. No need to mention that it was rich in proteins, minerals and iron(good for anemic patients).


Another thing to mention here is that I steamed the balls instead of frying. Hence it was calorie free. ( ok! I am calorie freak).

Here is the recipe:

Cottage cheese: 200gms
Spinach: 50gms
One small onion finely chopped
Garlic one clove finely chopped
Green chilies finely chopped
Chaat masala
Salt
1 tsf vegetable oil

In a pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil till caramelized  Blanch the spinach and finely chop after removing excess water.
Switch off the heat, add minced cottage cheese, spinach, green chilies and spices to the pan.
Make small balls of the batter. Steam them for 5 to 7 minutes in a steamer.
Serve hot with coriander chutney or salsa.



3 comments:

  1. Like the idea of steaming. Have had different fried version many times but yeah I myself would avoid do that :) Looks great. Thanks for sharing
    http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete