Monday 4 February 2013

CRISPY POTATOES WITH HERBS




CRISPY POTATOES WITH HERBS

 The launched of my first poetry book VOICES & VICES was a big deal for me, so for my friends. Their support and motivation has led me to this giant step. After the release and success, comes the party time. Friends of my poetry club insisted a homemade supper. This is a delight when you see friends talking about your poems and food. It feels like I am the centre of their appreciation. Apart from self bragging, the menu was simple but with some innovation.
Here is the recipe of starters I served with almond broccoli soup. Though preparation takes time, but trust me the efforts are fruitful. I made crispy potatoes with herbs like oregano, parsley.

What you require is:
200gms potatoes (selectively the tiniest one, there this is another variety available in the section of your supermall, which people doesn’t easily relish)
50gms butter (yes, calorie counts)
Green garlic (few stems, diced)
Oregano, onion salt, garlic salt, chilli flakes (as per the taste)
SALT (only use while serving, not in cooking, explained below).
The recipe:
Few hours before the actual cooking, marinate your potatoes. In a zip lock pouch, put potatoes (rinsed, well dried and unpeeled). Add butter, garlic stems and herbs. Lock the zip pouch and mix the contents vigorously. Keep aside for 2-3hrs. You can mix the contents few times in the pouch itself.
In a pan, bring the contents on medium heat. Cover the pan. Occasionally stir the potatoes otherwise they will stick to bottom. It might take half an hr to get the potatoes golden brown and crispy.
Just before serving add the salt. If added before, the potatoes will release their water content and they won’t be crispy enough. Rather they will taste like wedges.
Garnish with oregano, diced garlic.
Goes well with soup, side salad and for a change with sandwiches (instead of regular French fries).
Hope you enjoy. I will wait for your feedbacks.


My take away on recipe:
1.      Time consuming. Not an instant recipe when guests knock your door uninformed.
2.      Calorie rich. But sometimes you can relish.
3.      Unpeeled potatoes, preserves the roughage content.





4 comments:

  1. This is delicious! I am going to try this in the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, lemme know back how it turns. i thought of same but wondering, if they will be crispier in oven or not. i dint want them to taste like boiled potatoes and in oven they might turn so. an open air cooking is perhaps required to dry up the juices released by potatoes. anyhow, if you try it. do write me back as cooking in oven will save my time and effort ..
      thank you for your piece of advice. i might try it myself.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the launch of your book..mus b amazing feeling

    ReplyDelete