Thursday 14 March 2013

KADDU KI SABZI (Pumpkin Vegetable)


KADDU KI SABZI
(Pumpkin Vegetable)
you my pumpkin pumpkin, hello honey bunny

After years of cooking, I still regret that I have never been able to produce the flavors my mom puts in her cooking. I know her main ingredient is love. Even if I follow the exact recipe and season ample amount of love, dedication and discipline in my food. At the end of the day, the recipe is not yet perfect.
My mom visits me twice a year, every time I request her to cook Kaddu ki Sabzi and Bharwa Paratha. She makes a perfect blend of sugar and tanginess of tomatoes.
Well, It started this way, that my friends planned a hangout at Drive-in cinemas along with dinner. One of my friend is little fussy about eating vegetables. I chose to prepare this recipe and asked him to trust me and try it. Amazingly he liked it. (considering he is a blunt man and gives only honest opinions. I am not gonna name him here, but il tag this link to his wall J).

Here goes the recipe:
Pumpkin medium riped 250gms (peeled & chopped in one inch cubes)
Tomatoes medium size 2 in number
2 tsf sugar
Quarter spoon fenugreek seeds (methi ke dane for tempering)
Salt, chilli flakes, turmeric powder for seasoning.
2tsf vegetable oil


In a pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add fenugreek seeds, sauté for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes. Stir occasionally till they get tender. Add sugar. Wait for a minute. Add the seasoning. In the last add pumpkin cubes. Mix well. Cover the pan with lid. No need to add water as pumpkin releases its juices. Wait for ten minutes with occasional stirring. The recipe is ready if the pumpkin is nicely tender and juicy.
Garnish with coriander.
Best goes with paratha, poori, thepla.
My notes:
My mom is the best cook ever.
You can avoid peeling the pumpkin, it adds roughage to recipe.
The correct blend of sugar, tanginess of tomatoes and exact amount of salt is learnt with time. (don’t get disheartened if it doesn’t turn out well in first trial)




5 comments:

  1. Very mild flavored recipe..since I have acidity problem..I prefer such less spicy preparations..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kaddu. it has unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a question for you. Can one use potatoes instead, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we generally make potato and tomato dish in our kitchens, but its altogether have a different taste. more over vegetables like pumpkin, raw papaya, squash have a mild sweet taste which can be utilized in this recipe as an alternative.

      Delete